24 November 2010

Bed Heads and Potty Trials

They cancelled school again today. I'm just putting that out there in case anyone cares or is interested.

The boys woke up with some sweet bed head today:



See, with it being winter, it stays dark until pretty late in the morning here. This means that the boys do a much better job staying in bed (usually sleeping, but not always) until I finally roll out of bed around 8 or 8:30 and get them up. Yeah! On days there is no school, obvioulsy. I've been waiting for days like this since we were living in Oklahoma and the boys would wake up every. single. morning. around 6:30 or so. That's still not as early as some kids get up, I know, but it was kind of rough going for awhile there, since I'm not much of an early morning person. Back to the kids - you can tell they slept well by the state of their hair as they bounced out of bed this morning. Well, Zeke bounced, Deacon sort of slowly slithered out of bed and up the stairs. And then there was Finn, who I'm pretty sure is in here somewhere:


Here's the thing about our mornings lately though, Zeke will get up, go upstairs, play or walk around or whatever for a few minutes then realize he has to pee. So he'll go to the bathroom, and then go about his day. However, many is the morning (like today) where he pees on the floor instead of in the toilet. I don't know if it's because he has to go so badly from holding it all night that he just goes figuring he's in the general vicinity so he'll be fine, as long as it doesn't get on his underpants? I don't think that's entirely the case because it doesn't just happen first thing in the morning. He just doesn't seem to catch himself and aim better in the mornings, like he will later on in the day, and that just might be because he's still kind of waking up. I don't know if it's because he's in such a rush to get back to playing/eating/whatever that he isn't careful about it? I'm starting to get tired of cleaning up the floor around the toilet though.

And while I'm on the subject of Zeke and the toilet, here's the other thing: Zeke won't get out of bed on his own if he has to go to the bathroom. It doesn't matter if it's naptime or bedtime, he will not leave his room on his own. I know many parents have the opposite problem where their kids will not stay in their beds, so this may seem weird to them. But if he has to go to the bathroom while he's in bed one of 3 things happens. One, he just holds it until it's time for him to get up, then he runs to the bathroom like a bolt and goes. Two, he starts to sing really loudly until one of us goes downstairs to tell him to quiet down, at which point he'll say he has to go to the bathroom and then get up and go. The third option is that he lays there crying until we hear him and go down to check on him.

I'm not sure what to do. We've repeatedly practiced with him what he should do if he has to go to the bathroom with him while he's bed. We've acted it all out, had him act it all out, quizzed him and got appropriate answers from him, and still he just won't get himself out of bed and into the bathroom. He used to always get permission to go to the bathroom no matter what time of day it was, but lately he's been going when he has to. So maybe he'll start going on his own when he's in bed too? I just don't know.

But, now I'm off to do some dishes, and all that sort of fun stuff before Josh gets home from work. I said to Josh, "Why don't you just try and take today off so you don't have to go out on those horrible roads?" He said, "How am I supposed to come home early if I don't go in at all?" Silly me. Or maybe silly Josh? Either way, in closing here are a few more silly people - Deacon looking kind of crazy and Zeke proudly wearing his "bird school shirt".


Okay, that's not actually the super proud picture, that's the "try smiling with your mouth closed a little bit" picture. But it's still sweet, so I'm leaving it. I hope you all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving (since it'll be almost over for most of you by the time I get around to posting tomorrow)!

No comments: