13 November 2008

That's it. I'm Just NOT Doing It.

And that is all I have to say on the matter of potty training. Okay, that's not really all I have to say about it, otherwise, this would be the shortest blog entry ever. Okay, maybe not ever but it would not make for very good reading. Anyhoo.


We were all set to go this past weekend. Josh had a four day weekend, I took a poll here on this blog, and we got the toilets and the underroos and everything all ready. Mentally, I was totally prepared. The weather was nice, and we were going to do this thing! Saturday was a busy day for us so nothing doing then. So, I figured we'd start Sunday after their "after church" naps.


And then Josh got sick. Again. On a long weekend. Again. There was no throwing up or anything nasty like that going on. He just slept. And slept. And when he was awake he complained about his whole body aching and making him not feel good. Then he would sleep. Sigh.


So, I'm giving up for the time being. Maybe we'll try over Christmas break when Josh is around more and it's unlikely he'll be sick the entire two weeks or whatever he has "off". Sure, he'll be sick some of it, I mean, it wouldn't be time off if he was perfectly well the whole time. And it'll be too cold (I hope) to really go anywhere or want to do anything, so we'll be spending PLENTY of time in the house just hanging out. Or, we'll just decide that Christmas is too close to moving and so we should just wait until the spring. Or whenever it gets warm in Alaska.


At this point, I don't even care anymore. And please don't misunderstand me. I'm not upset or frustrated or anything negative about it. I was excited two months ago when we first started talking about it, but now I'm just like, "Whatever. I really don't mind changing diapers. I don't care if they stay in them for another couple of months. They'll get trained eventually, maybe I should just wait until they tell me they're ready so it'll take three days instead of three months." I mean, they all learn how to use the toilet by the time they reach kindergarten, right? So, why rush it? For all I care, the toilet can stay where it is, right at the end of the line-up.


Okay, maybe not right where it is, as that is a terribly inconvenient place for Zeke to have set those up, but you get my point.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Good for you! You gave it shot, it wasn't working. Maybe some other day...

...and then again, maybe not.

Ells said...

oh Beth, that 'line-up' picture is SO funny.

sorry Josh was sick again. :(

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, I love it when Zeke lines stuff up. That's my sweet OCD boy.

Good for you for taking it easy. Getting stressed about it wouldn't help anyone. (I am, like, the queen of that so I speak from my vast experience.) Plus, they might potty train in AK out of self-defense...too cold to be running around pants-less!

xoxox
Linda

Ells said...

I'm thinking 21 Dec... does that work for you?

Anonymous said...

zeke sure does line up a lot of things, doesn't he? lol. and good try on the potty training. i'm sure it'll work out eventually... in God's time. Take it easy and I'm glad you're not stressing out over it. Sorry to hear Josh gets sick a lot during breaks. Hope things go better next time.
-Kirsten

Anonymous said...

Zipped over here from L's blog ...

here's my totally unsolicited advice about toilet training that no-one every wants to hear:

Don't bother.

Give 'em the info, they'll figure it out. I tried twice with my oldest but was getting frustrated so stopped, and one day she asked for a bathroom while we were out shopping and didn't have an accident for three MONTHS.

My youngest decided to start wearing underwear a few months after I bought them for him (he's Resistant To Change) and he had more accidents, but that's because he'd (still) rather die than pee anywhere other than home.

They were both a few months past their third birthday.