25 November 2008

I Wish We Could All See Pediatric Dentists

I tell you what, our visit to the dentist didn't get off to the greatest start, but it sure did wind up being fantastic. And really, the only reason it got off to a bad start is that I left the house without the office's phone number and/or address (which I made me pretty sore at myself), and I only had a vague idea where I was going based on directions I got from Joni yesterday. Her directions were good, I just got them all backwards when it came time to put them into action. Sigh.

BUT, as I drove down Gore (the street the office is on) for the seventh or so time, I finally decided to stop in an oral surgeon's office. I figured, one dentist should know where another one is, right? The woman at the front desk was fabulous! She not only gave me perfect directions, the phone number and the address, but she called the office to let them know I had gotten lost and was on my way so I could keep my appointment. See? She's fabulous.

So we finally make it there, and unlike the pediatricians office we went to for the boys flu shots, this office had toys in it! (Seriously, how do have an office where you see kids on a daily basis and NOT have toys in the waiting room?) It also had a series of kids magazines and I read some of the one on archeology. I've always been fascinated by that stuff. Anyhoo...our appointment was at 10:30, but with arriving five minutes late and having to fill out paperwork, it was about 11:15 before the boys were called back. They hygenist was great. The doctor had
Spongebob on his cap, so Zeke was happy with him. Both boys did great and got all sorts of treats (toothbrushes, stickers, and toys, oh boy!). The dentist did say that Deacon may need braces when he gets older. The kid is 17 months old and has eight teeth. I think we'll hold off on making that call for a few more years.

But it all went pretty quickly. We were in the car and on the road by noon. OH! This is just great. As we were getting ready to leave, the hygenist said to bring them back in six months, and I told her we would be in Alaska by then. So she says, "Well, let us know if you want us to make copies of their records from today, and do you know where in Alaska?" So I told her Anchorage. She then made a photocopy of a list of pediatric dentists in Alaska for me! Wow. I think that is just so cool. To celebrate the boys doing so well, we stopped at McDonalds on the way home for some french fries, which I gave them with some chicken nuggets I made. Nothing like going through the drive thru for a large order of fries that went right onto the old Visa. Now they are napping, and I am enjoying the quiet afternoon.


1 comment:

Childress Family said...

Isn't it great when people are just plain nice?