06 April 2011

Happy (Early) Birthday Finn!

Since Josh is leaving Friday (early Saturday morning actually) and won't be here next month when Finn turns 1, we decided to have Finn's birthday celebration a month early so Daddy could be here to celebrate with the birthday boy. Of course, now I'm not sure what to do next month his actual birthday comes. But boy did we have fun last night!

We started the evening's celebrations with a most delicious lasagna for dinner. As you can see, Finn is quite the fan of his mother's lasagna and could not get enough of it in his belly. Nor could he get enough of it all over his face, head and arms. But that's part of the fun, right?


After we cleaned up dinner (and Finn [and Finn's tray]) we brought out the cake. For Zeke and Deacon's 1st birthdays I made them individual sized round cakes then made cupcakes for the rest of us with the remaining batter. This year, I couldn't find those pans (probably still in a box somewhere) but I did find my heart shaped little cakes pan and used that. I was going to just make one heart for Finn, then cupcakes for the rest of us, but Josh wanted a heart cake to so I made all 6 of them, then used the remaining batter to make 6 cupcakes. Oh and, Deacon helped with the baking.


It took Finn all of 30 seconds to figure out how delicious cake is. Once he figured it out though, it was on! It was also thoroughly enjoyed. (I have a bunch more pictures up on flickr.)


Since it was a double whammy night of lasagna and cake, it was also a bath night. Which works out really well because the birthday boy LOVES bath night. He is a splash maniac and I am already trying to figure out how I'm going to bathe the 3 boys by myself once Josh leaves. (AHH!)


After the boys were all cleaned up and jammied, it was time for presents. Josh and I bought Finn a toy (which Zeke and Deacon have been fighting over ever since we presented it to Finn - go figure) for the occasion. As it happened, my stepmom had mailed us a package a few weeks ago and had the foresight to put Finn's birthday presents from her, my dad and brother in the package, so we let Finn open them last night too (I hope that's okay Grandma Karen).


Finally, we put in a movie for the older boys so Finn could actually play with his own birthday present for a little bit. Then it was off to bed for 3 very tired, sugar crashed boys. All in all, I'd say it was a pretty good 1st birthday for our sweet little boy. We sure do love you Finn!

No comments: