14 March 2009

I Mean, Really?

Someone help me out here. Please tell me it isn't just my kids. I mean, there are other kids out there who just run, and run, and run around in circles for fun, right? You can tell by the extra lack of control Deacon has over himself that they've been at this for a few minutes already.


I know I just posted about Zeke's running in circles around the house a few days ago, but I feel like he's really taken it up a notch lately. Maybe it's just that I'm starting to get worn out, or maybe it's because Josh hasn't been around to help find other outlets for his energy, or maybe he has discovered how much he really, really loves to run in circles.



During his naptime the other day, Zeke took it upon himself to move his table and chairs from in front of the window to next to his bed. When I got the boys up from their naps, and saw that he had done this, I asked him why. His answer? He started running in little circles in front of the window where the table and chairs had been, which is now the only empty piece of floor in his room as the rest of it is covered in books. Got it. He needed a running space in his room. Sure, okay.





After I busted out the bubbles the other day, they have become the latest rage here. Zeke constantly asks for bubbles. I blow bubbles, the boys dance and clap and cheer, I get light headed, we stop, Zeke then asks for a bath. Because bubble baths are also the latest rage, and if we can't have bubbles in the kitchen anymore, bubbles in the tub are just as good. This morning Zeke decided that, you guessed it, running through the bubbles would be the most. fun. thing. EVER. I wish I had his energy.




I also wish I had a little more time at the moment as there is more to share with you all, but it will have to wait. But here's a little preview of what's to come: Josh got us a house in Alaska and moved in yesterday; my sister, Katherine, is coming to visit for a few days; the boys (and by "the boys" I really mean Deacon since Zeke can already do this) have been working on drinking from open cups/regular cups/big people cups/however you want to phrase that; and more. So, stay tuned and I promise to come back as soon as I can.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wes calls it skateboarding. And I just keep buying socks with treads on the bottoms so that the wipeouts only happen about once a week. He and Brian both run around at night when he is home from work - skateboard, or playing "rocket" and "big jet" from Little Einsteins. Must be a boy thing:)

Anonymous said...

This will sound weird and this is just my experience as a young walter lad but as a kid I would run around in circles or back and forth in a room until I would get tired or my dad would yell at me. There was one time i wanted to play basketball so I made a little court in the basement with some plastic bins and a nerf soccer ball and would dribble and shoot the ball up and down a 7 foot space for hours. The need to run has never left me. I guess it's good to see that the tradition will live on.

evan

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I remember well running circles around the house with my sister. The family room and the living room were separated by a wall, but the wall had two doorways in it, one at each end of the wall. It made a nice big "circle track" to race around on...straightaways and hairpin corners and everything! Always was an unbelievable amount of fun until we got the dreaded red flag from the race officials(our folks). Anyway, rest assured, your two boys are not the only ones obsessed with running in circles. Had I the energy, I would do it now...there's something almost zen-like about running madly around in circles...

Anonymous said...

yay future track stars!! lol. hope you're having a lovely week with katherine :) i miss you guys too!

-kirsten

Anonymous said...

Char's kids run around and around the open space in her house. I chased the boys for an hour the night she was in labor with Katie to tire them out and make sure they slept through the hardest part of her labor. I think all kids are just wired to run. Which is good because could you imagine what else they'd do to burn off that energy if they couldn't run?

I broke out the bubble for Sam the other day. He made the cutest and yet most heartbreaking sad face every time one of them broke. He couldn't understand why he couldn't catch and eat them. I guess he's still a little too young to understand the bubble concept! And I CANNOT blow fast enough to keep up.

xoxoxo
Linda

Embrace the Circus said...

Not just you. Really. Madeline has recently discovered how much she enjoys running laps around the dining room table, first thing in the morning. I get her up, give her some milk, she sits in my lap, and then she squirms down to run around the table. To be fair, when I'm able (read: when Jim's able to stay with the girls or when I'm not ENORMOUSLY pregnant) that's pretty much the way I like to start my day. I just run around an airfield instead of a table...