07 June 2013

He's So Romantic


Yesterday, a friend came over with her kids, and her daughter, Grace, left her stuffed tiger here. Now, Grace is the sweetest 3rd grade girl I know and so it's not surprising that Deacon has a little bit of a crush on her. During t-ball Grace would be the only girl Deacon would pay any attention to or even talk to.  When her family went on vacation, Deacon asked for her all the time. After all, she IS adorable:
Back to the tiger.  Deacon got home from school yesterday, saw the tiger and asked whose it was.  I told him it was Grace's and he asked if he could give it back to her.  We meant to do it yesterday after Zeke got home from school, but we forgot.  So this morning Deacon saw the tiger again and said, "Mom, we didn't bring Grace her tiger!" I said, "Oh yeah. It's okay. I'm going to see Ms Ryan today and she can give Grace back her tiger." To which Deacon made a kind of sad and thoughtful face so I said, "Unless you'd like to give it to her yourself?" He cheered up and said he'd like to do that, so I said I'd bring it with me when I picked him up from school and we'd take it back then.

It's raining today.  It was sort of lightly raining when I left the house to pick up Deacon from school.  In the 3 minutes it took to get him, it started pouring. I mean, really pouring.  I asked him if he still wanted to go then or if we could wait until later in the day to see if the rain calmed down, but he insisted we go right there and then to bring his lady back her tiger.

Deacon is my shyest and most introverted child.  He's incredibly sweet (obviously) but he's very shy and doesn't like to do many things that require talking to others - especially on his own.  But when he pulled up to Grace's house, he said he wanted to go on his own to bring her tiger back, that I could wait in the car with Finn. And wouldn't you know it, he went up to her door on his own, rang the bell, and waited so patiently for someone to answer the door. He gave her the tiger and then stood there grinning like a fool as Grace (and her mom) thanked him for being such a sweet gentleman for bringing back her tiger to her. He was still grinning in the car, but sadly my camera was wet and all of the pictures I took of him came out blurry.  You'll just have to trust me when I say, it was absolutely adorable. Oh, and the rain slowed back down almost as soon as we got back home afterward.


And that's the story of how my sweet prince of a boy braved the pouring rain and overcame his shyness to bring his lady back her stuffed tiger. He's so romantic.

No comments: