02 August 2008

With a Random Picture in the Middle

Talk About Culture Shock

So, the other night I was finally working on getting our suitcase unpacked when Josh said to me, “You should go to WalMart and buy a new DVD player.” (Keep in mind it was about 7:30pm.) My eyes got all big and I said, “Now?” “Sure,” he replied. “Why not? I mean, it’s not like we’re in Germany anymore where everything closes at 4pm.” And that just blew my mind. So I finished unpacking the suitcase because I REALLY wanted to get that done, and I drove across the street to WalMart. And wouldn’t you know it, I was NOT the only one in there! In fact, there were tons of people there as if it were 3 o’clock in the afternoon. I felt like I was in some other dimension. A weird universe where people do things like go to WalMart at times when they should be home getting ready to go to bed or something. I don’t know. I do know that it was a taste of what you all call “life in America”, and it truly was something else. I guess I have been away a little too long.





How Did That Happen?!?

Josh and I are officially adults. We bought ourselves a brand new washer and dryer last weekend. Crazy! But I tell you what, I LOVE THEM! It’s so nice to get a load of laundry (and a big load at that) done in a half an hour instead of three hours. That’s right, back in Germany, it would take almost two hours to wash a load and then another hour to hour and a half to dry one. Now, I can get the kids up in the morning and know that I can have their bedding washed AND dried before they go down for their naps a few hours later. It’s a beautiful thing.

Kids, cars, washer/dryer, what’s next?

Oh, and, Deacon got his eighth tooth the day after we landed in Oklahoma. You know, for those of you counting along at home.

3 comments:

Julie Danielle said...

That's so funny about Wal-Mart :)

Anonymous said...

I wondered if that culture shock was going to happen to you at some point. You've been away for a long time and knowing something isn't the same thing as being able to DO it.

Yay new washer and dryer!

xo
Lin

Evan Walter said...

I have to say my heart breaks when the words Wal-Mart are shuddered, I even dare not type the words but i have to take a big gulp and get through it. There is this weird thing that has happened to America, not so much in NJ but there is a trend developing in other states. People go to Wal-Mart just to hang out. Especially the younger crowd. There was this thing a long time ago and it was called a community. People would go to the town centers and mingle and discuss the days events and even partake in a local shops delicacies or just talk to the owner and create a relationship. You could trust the shops and there owners because you knew them and they knew you. The products they sold reflected the values they held. Orwell's depiction of Big Brother as this face that constantly watches you at all turns is a menacing figure in the book 1984. As the characters look at the film scenes of war and the struggle between Oceania and Eurasia the heart strings are pulled into an ecstatic cry of desire for Big Brother. I couldn't help but find the connection between 1984 and Wal Mart till I see the yellow face everywhere and the bombardment of commercials showing a way of life that could drive an American to "want Wal Mart" If you have a chance to take a look at one of Wal Marts annual store meetings you'll see a scene very similar to 1984. Check out PBS.org and lookup the show Frontline. There should be an episode you can watch for free called Is Wal Mart good for America?