01 September 2008

Of All the Things

We forgot our house key. In case you're confused by that statement, allow me to clarify it for you. When packing up and heading out to NJ three weeks ago, we left the key to our house in Oklahoma in our house in Oklahoma. When did we realize this? Oh, yesterday as we were packing to head back home. Yeah. Well, Joni called Friday to see if we had one with us, and Josh was fairly certain he did, even though I wasn't as certain, but I told her that we did. Only to find out that we did not.

Thankfully, I have our landlady's cell number programmed into my phone so I gave her a ring. (She is an adorable Korean lady, by the way.) Turns out, she's on vacation! After she finished laughing at my situation she goes, "So, how you gonna get eein?" She then graciously looke up and called me back with the phone number for a local locksmith. Not too keen on having a stranger open my house and then leave it open until we got in that night (not to mention I have no idea how we would have paid him with us being in NJ and him being in OK), I never did call him. I am saving his number for a rainy day though.

This might not have been such a big deal if we were getting in at a decent hour or something, but no. By the time we landed, got off the plane, got our luggage, got our rental car, and got home, it was close to 11:30pm. So, here we are, in the dark, both boys crying in the car, me trying not to freak out outside the car, and Josh trying to kick in the back door to our bedroom since it was too dark for him to pick the lock himself. Can you sense the awesomeness of this moment?

Finally Josh comes back around the house to try breaking into the front door again (that's right, again, as in he had already tried and gone back to the back door), and I just told him to go down to the Starling's house since they had our extra key. This is why Joni called in the first place on Friday. They had one of our keys but were going camping for the long weekend, and wanted to make sure we could get in when we got back. Remember how I said that we were okay and had one? Can you sense the irony there? Anyhoodle, I told Josh to go to the Starling's and use the key they have hiding outside to enter their house to see if our key is lying around somewhere inside.

Five minutes later Josh returned triumphant! Not because he broke in and found our key though. Apparently, Jim and Joni and returned early from their camping trip and were home. So Josh rang their bell (WHAT?!? Sammy sleeps right next to where the bell rings in the house!) and Jim woke up and gave us back our key. Yay.
Now we're here, we're catching up on bills and other mail, emails and other internet related things, and house stuff (Josh is currently fixing the toilet in the front bathroom). I will post about our third week in NJ sometime later this week, as well as put up all our pictures from the trip on Flickr. Our desktop should be in OK by now and I'm thinking about waiting until we get that here and set up before doing any of that. Or not. We'll see how it goes. But until next time, I pray you all have a great (and safe) Labor Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I got your texty I just laughed and laughed. I'm sure it wasn't funny at 11:30 at night but man, from the safe distance of close to a thousand miles it sure was! Plus, I find your landlady hilarious for reasons that I will not mention but I'm sure you understand. All I'll say is: WHYYYYYYYY?

Love you guys so much! I hope you're getting all settled in and breathing a little easier now that the traveling is over.

xo
Lin

Childress Family said...

That totally sounds like something that would happen to us! Oh, I felt your pain. Glad it all worked out! Hooray for the Starlings!