05 November 2007

Backfire!

So, I've been getting a little frustrated lately with Zeke's lack of vocabulary (at least his lack of willingness to use his vocabulary), so I thought teaching him some sign language would be a good idea. The only problem with this is that he never sits still long enough for me to "teach" him anything, so we were getting no where with signs (except for "all done"...we have definitely mastered that one - we're "all done" eating, we're "all done" playing in his room, we're "all done" with Mommy sitting on the couch knitting, etc). Thus came the brilliant idea to borrow the library's copy of Baby Einstein's "My First Signs" to see how that would go - the idea being that essentially only TV can truly get him to sit still for more than two minutes so maybe he'd absorb something from that show (plus, I only know three signs myself). Well, he's definitely absorbing something because whenever I try and use one of the signs from the show his response is always to run to the TV and start crying until I play the video. Maybe I should have gotten a book instead. To illustrate his intense viewing of this show (and of the Backyardigans), and his new TV watching position, I've posted two pictures as well. He's just too much sometimes!

2 comments:

Paula said...

I can't wait to meet Zeke!

JStar said...

Hey Beth, maybe try one new sign at a time and work on it for a week or so. Just repeat it all the time whenever you are doing whatever it is. Some of the easiest for Sammie were eat and drink. Good luck!